Foot pain can be a common complaint among individuals of all ages and lifestyles. It can range from a mild discomfort to severe pain that affects daily activities.
Causes of Foot Pain
The foot is a complex structure made up of bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Foot pain can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Injury: Sprains, strains, fractures, and other injuries can cause foot pain.
- Overuse: Overuse injuries, such as plantar fasciitis, can cause pain in the foot.
- Medical conditions: Medical conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, and peripheral artery disease can cause foot pain.
- Poor footwear: Wearing shoes that do not fit properly or do not provide adequate support can cause foot pain.
Foot Pain Treatment
Treatment options for foot pain depend on the underlying cause of the pain. Common treatments include:
- Orthotics: Orthotic shoe inserts can help provide adequate support when walking and standing.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, can help to manage mild to moderate foot pain. In more severe cases, prescription medications may be necessary.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy can help to improve strength and flexibility, as well as alleviate pain.
- Injection therapies: Corticosteroid injections and nerve blocks can help to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Surgery: Surgery may be necessary in severe cases, such as when there is a fracture or a deformity that causes foot pain.
Most interventional pain procedures are done at the onsite procedure suite.
Don’t let foot pain keep you from living your life. Lakeshore Pain and Spine Center is dedicated to providing personalized and compassionate care to help you achieve pain relief and improve your overall well-being. Call Lakeshore Pain and Spine Center or book an appointment online today.