Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is a common condition that occurs when the spinal discs between the vertebrae break down or degenerate over time. It can cause back pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility.
Causes of Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
DDD is a natural part of the aging process and can be caused by a combination of factors, including:
- Normal wear and tear on the spine over time
- Repeated stress or injuries to the spine
- Poor posture or body mechanics
Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
The symptoms of DDD can vary from person to person, but often include:
- Back pain that is worse when sitting, bending, or twisting
- Stiffness in the back or neck
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
- Weakness in the legs or feet
- Reduced mobility and range of motion
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) Treatment
The treatment of DDD aims to relieve pain, improve function, and prevent or slow the progression of the condition. Treatment options may include:
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, can help to manage mild to moderate pain. In more severe cases, prescription medications may be necessary.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy can help to improve strength, flexibility, and range of motion in the affected area. This may include exercises to strengthen the core muscles and improve posture.
- Injection therapies: Epidural steroid injections or nerve block injections may be used to help reduce pain and inflammation in the affected area.
- Surgery: In severe cases where conservative treatments have not been effective, surgery may be recommended. This may include spinal fusion or a discectomy to remove the damaged disc.
Most interventional pain procedures are done at the onsite procedure suite.
Don’t let degenerative disc disease keep you from living your life. Lakeshore Pain and Spine Center is dedicated to providing personalized and compassionate care to help you achieve pain relief and improve your overall well-being. Call Lakeshore Pain and Spine Center or book an appointment online today.